According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the lifetime of your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence this timeline. How can you know if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some signs that you should watch for.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are totally opened, do any have less airflow than others?
2. Can you hear something other than your blower motor when you focus on the airflow?
3. Is there anything blocking your cold air return vent?
4. When you glimpse inside with a flashlight, is there a buildup of debris or pet fur?
5. Have bugs or rodents made a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers pushing out dust?
If you said “yes” to any of these questions, it’s likely time to contact Farris Heating & Air in Bartlesville about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are steps you can take to maintain your ducts and extend the time between professional appointments.
Most importantly, schedule periodic HVAC maintenance with the experts at Farris Heating & Air. Annual checkup of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system working at peak performance. Examining your system regularly and replacing the air filter when needed will also help keep your ducts clear.
Other ways you can help manage your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let dust in from spaces such as your attic.
• Check your air filters often and change them when required.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your rooms.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in bad or wet condition.
Keeping your ducts open will help you make sure the air in your Bartlesville home is clean. Make sure to use these preventative actions and schedule a professional duct cleaning regularly. Call the experts at Farris Heating & Air at 918-534-8194 or make an appointment online.