Spring is in the air here in Bartlesville and that means vacation plans are in your near future. While you’re figuring out what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what you’re leaving behind, your home. The Farris Heating & Air team has some tips that will assist in keeping your home safe and help save some money on your utility bills while you revel in a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an inexpensive way to make your home look as though you’re still home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a good idea to program your lights to correspond with your typical schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a dependable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater peace of mind than a text while you’re away letting you know that everything at home is perfect.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to say not to share photos of your fabulous trip on social media, but try to hold off until after you are back to post information about your trip. Family and friends most likely already know you’re leaving so there’s no reason letting potential criminals know your intentions. Everyone will be just as enchanted by the wonderful things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it more effortless than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical device is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. An effortless way to save some energy while you’re on vacation is to unplug a few of your electronics. Something that you may overlook unplugging is your garage door. It will save you energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re on vacation there’s no sense keeping your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your ideal level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some easy tips to add to your spring break prep agenda, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about safeguarding your home this season or want to discuss additional energy saving tips, give Farris Heating & Air in Bartlesville a call at 918-534-8194.