Gas Furnaces and Carbon Monoxide: The Risks and How to Protect Your Family

February 06, 2017
Whenever your gas furnace is working, carbon monoxide is being produced. However, there is no need to worry. It is a natural result of the fuel-burning process. As long as your furnace is working properly, it is harmlessly deposited outside your home. Carbon monoxide is contained inside your furnace’s heat exchanger until it is safely forced through the flue vent to the open air around your home. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a result of a malfunctioning gas furnace.

Taking in too much carbon monoxide blocks the body from using oxygen and can hurt the central nervous system and heart. While carbon monoxide poisoning can injure anyone exposed to the gas, it is notably risky for people with existing lung or heart problems, pregnant woman, infants and children. Here are some tips to ease your mine mind and preserve a healthy, comfortable and safe home.

1. Invest in carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that can’t be detected by humans. Without a detector, it’s almost impossible to know carbon monoxide is gathering in your home. You may be unaware until someone starts showing symptoms of poisoning. Introduce carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your home, ideally near bedrooms, to be alerted to rising levels before anyone gets sick.
2. Be sure your gas furnace was installed properly. If your gas furnace wasn’t installed by specialists, you should have it looked at. The experts at Farris Heating & Air can make sure your blower motor is installed properly and that everything looks correct in your ductwork design. Carbon monoxide can collect if there are problems in those areas.
3. Schedule annual maintenance. Routine maintenance is the best step you can take to prevent carbon monoxide leaks from your gas furnace. During a yearly checkup, your experts will clean your system and check it for malfunctions or problems. It’s also a great idea to have any other gas-, coal- or oil-burning appliances professionally serviced as well.
4. Keep your air filter clean. A blockage of airflow caused by a dirty filter can cause carbon monoxide to bleed out from your system. Set a reminder on your phone or mark your calendar to regularly check your air filter and clean or change it per the manufacturer’s instruction.
5. Always depend on professionals to repair your gas furnace and other fuel-burning appliances.


Carbon monoxide can be extremely hazardous, but you can have peace of mind by taking a few meaures. You’ll always have the experts at Farris Heating & Air in Bartlesville just around the corner to help, too. Give us a call at 918-534-8194 if you have questions or concerns about carbon monoxide or your gas furnace. You can also schedule an appointment using our online scheduler.